|Specifics: This is for Ghostbusters 101 and ATC|
Abby Yates (full name: Abigail L. Yates) is a former professor from Kenneth P. Higgins Institute. She along with Erin Gilbert co-wrote Ghosts from Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal. She is one of the four Ghostbusters in the 2016 movie.
She is serious researcher on the paranormal. She also has been known for playing practical jokes on people along with Jillian.
She had released "Ghosts from Our Past Both Literally & Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal", which she wrote along with Erin without her permission. Her and Jillian had teamed up after a falling out with Erin. When Erin discovered that the book had been released she co-wrote with her, she demanded that Abby should take it down. Abby during that conversation found out about a lead; Aldridge Mansion Museum. She agreed to take down the book if Erin would take her and Jillian to the Museum and introduce them to Ed Mulgrave Jr.
While there, they all three witnessed a ghost that slimed Erin. The video Abby had shot of the event went viral.
Abby was not pleased to hear from Patty that she and Holtzmann failed to capture any ghosts in Queens. Abby emphasized she really needed a specimen to study and decreed Holtzmann couldn't blow up any ghosts or cars until they captured at least a Class 5. Abby's curiosity finally got the best of her and she asked what Kevin was doing in a broccoli costume. Erin wasn't really sure. Abby asked Kevin to practice in the other room, mostly to put Erin back on task. Abby was uneasy with a recent trend of P.K.E. readings being all over the place. She knew something was off and wanted the Ghostbusters to be prepared to save the world again.
- The helmet worn by Abby, when she and Erin are first reunited, is a homage to what the possessed Louis Tully wore in the1984 movie. McCarthy wanted an odd piece of equipment to wear when viewers first see her. 
- On the July 14, 2016 episode of "Conan", McCarthy talked about the possessed Abby scene. She revealed they employed a practical approach to the head twisting stunt, a stuffed back bra.
- In Ghostbusters International #3, on page 6, in panel 5, Abby makes a non-canon cameo as one of the applicants outside.
- On page 20 of Ghostbusters 101 #1, right of Kemp's Spectral Field Guide is the photograph of Abby and Erin at their high school fair, seen in the Extended Edition and deleted scenes of the 2016 movie.
- Abby claims Patty once tried to poison her with decaffeinated coffee. 
- Ghostbusters 101
- ↑ Empire Online "Ghostbusters - trailer breakdown with Paul Feig" 3/9/16 Paul Feig says: "Melissa wanted some piece of equipment that's odd when we first see her. We looked around at a bunch of different stuff and got inspired by the original. A funny helmet is always fun."
- ↑ Abby Yates (2017). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters 101 #1" (2017) (Comic p.20). Abby Yates says: "Like when Patty tried to poison me with decaf."