The Containment Unit Monitor is located in the basement and soon after in Egon Spengler's laboratory in the Firehouse.   When looking inside via a scope, the person can make visual confirmation of specific entities or track them through a schematic of the universe.
The Ghostbusters wanted to see Samhain's reaction to being deposited into the Containment Unit. To their amazement, Samhain was not irate and was seated. Egon surmised he was waiting for the next time he would be freed. Janine Melnitz used it to monitor Egon Spengler as he ventured into the universe to extract the Ghosts of Christmas.
- On page 13 of Ghostbusters: Get Real Issue #4, there are two on-canon references to the Containment Unit Monitor:
- In panel 2, a grab of the Containment Unit Monitor appears on a screen
- In panel 4, another grab of the Containment Unit Monitor appears on the console.
- ↑ The Real Ghostbusters Complete Collection Volume One Disc Five, "Xmas Marks the Spot" Storyboard p. 89. CPT Holdings, Inc. Line reads: "Busters are already at Containment Unit Monitor - Ray looks into monitor as Egon walks in."
- ↑ The Real Ghostbusters Complete Collection Volume One Disc Five, "Xmas Marks the Spot" Storyboard p. 128. CPT Holdings, Inc. Action/ reads: "Janine and Slimer are at Containment Monitor behind a protective iron wall."
- ↑ Straczynski, J. Michael (2009). The Real Ghostbusters Complete Collection Volume One Disc Five, "When Halloween Was Forever" Storyboard p. 107. CPT Holdings, Inc. Line reads: "Action/--Containment Unit Monitor."
- ↑ Janine Melnitz (2009). The Real Ghostbusters - "Xmas Marks the Spot" (1986) (DVD ts. 16:10-16:15). Time Life Entertainment. Janine says: "Come on Slimer, let's watch on the monitor upstairs."