|Specifics: This is for ATC Comic, Crossing Over|
Erin Gilbert is a former professor from Columbia University. She, along with Abby Yates, co-wrote Ghosts from Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal. She is one of the four Ghostbusters in the 2016 movie.
Erin runs the risk of potentially being haughty, as she is shown to be highly concerned with her perception by intellectuals. She is insecure from years of not being accepted by the academic community, and tends to come off as goofy when sharing their company. In fact, Erin is headstrong, believes in the scientific method, and does not easily give up.
She was a professor at Columbia University. One day, Ed Mulgrave Jr. came to her after reading "Ghosts from Our Past Both Literally & Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal", which she wrote along with Abby. She was unaware of the books publication and was not wanting her representation mucked up by Ghost Chasing non-sense. Ultimately, she found out that Abby was operating her paranormal research at Kenneth P. Higgins Institute.
Abby was not willing to take down the book, but agreed to only if she'd come along with her and Jillian to investigate the haunting at the Aldridge Mansion Museum. While there, she encountered a spirit that slimed her. After the interaction, a video of it was posted online. She was fired from Columbia University shortly afterwards.
Erin found herself once again distracted with Kevin. This time he was dancing near the front door in a broccoli costume with no music on. At first, Erin thought he was doing a take on the traditional Bhangra Dance Style but then he started doing the Mashed Potato. Erin was disappointed when Abby had him practice whatever he was doing in the other room. Abby tried to get her focused on preparing the Ghostbusters for saving the world again. Unlike Abby, Erin was skeptical something bad was on the horizon again since their field was still a new one. Erin lost a coin toss to Abby and had to go over the accounting. She stayed behind at the Firehouse while the others went out on another slew of calls. She reassured herself she loved going over the books and it was the cornerstone of a good business. She discovered an order for 10 cases of spray cheese and on a hunch, asked Kevin if he ordered it. Kevin replied 'possibly'. She reminded him he (and Holtzmann) couldn't just order anything he wanted on the business account then asked him to answer the phone. Kevin wasn't feeling it on account of bad vibes and declined. He called her "Stephanie" instead of "Erin". Mike Hat brought her the phone while she corrected him. Erin informed the caller that the Ghostbusters had a full schedule and couldn't possibly come before 6 pm. The caller said some obscenity that offended Erin and she asked if he kissed his mother with that mouth. Erin wished they could hire more help and imagined Kevin as someone else.
After two Statues of Liberty and another team of Ghostbusters appeared on the news, the team gathered outside the Firehouse. Erin was shocked to see layout of the interior was different and their stuff was gone. She wondered if they were robbed. Kevin Tanaka greeted them from the office. Erin demanded to know where Kevin was. Kevin stated he was Kevin. Erin lost her composure and declared Kevin was a chiseled, godlike, specimen of a man and he wasn't. Kevin remarked he did all right. Patty advised Erin to take a breath. Egon Spengler and Kevin Beckman got their attention from atop the stairwell. The two teams gathered on the second floor to figure out what was going on. Erin was surprised to learn the other team had interns. Janine Melnitz added they also had a branch in Chicago and a a liaison agent with the FBI. Erin asked if they were still hiring. Egon concluded their two dimensions were in a state of overlap. He and Ray Stantz talked about their exploration of the alternate dimensions and shared their theory about seeding the subconscious of the Multiverse with the idea of Ghostbusters. Abby was angry to learn they risked the lives of innocent citizens when they crossed the streams. Erin reminded her they set off a nuclear explosion in Times Square once. Abby told her to be quiet because that was a totally different situation.
On the ride to Ellis Island, Erin started to have a panic attack after she realized Winston Zeddemore looked like Patty's Uncle Bill, Peter Venkman looked like Martin Heiss, and Ray Stantz looked like the Cabbie. She told herself it was just a stress dream from working on the taxes. She was about to try to force herself to wake up but Holtzmann slapped her. Erin wondered if there were other versions of themselves and if they could be crazy. She started to panic again and freaked out her alternate self might be a jerk cabbie. Peter reminded her he was a trained psychologist. Holtzmann didn't believe Ray's warning about dispersing ghosts but a single and powerful entity manifested. Holtzmann thought it was stupid since nothing bad happened before in their dimension when they shredded ghosts. Erin independently came to a similar conclusion as Ray and pointed out a lot of P.K.E. was sucked away when Rowan's breach was sealed. Too strong to trap, Erin came up with an idea to use an explosion. She asked Ray to return to Marine Ecto-8 with her. Erin explained her team used a concentrated explosion to seal Rowan's breach and believed they could rig a Trap. Ray caught on and grabbed the Megatrap but wasn't confident it had the power to fully discorporate the entity. Erin agreed and got out the Proton Bazooka. Erin took aim and nailed the entity. Ray trapped it then swung the Megatrap into the tear. The explosion successfully closed up the tear. Holtzmann was irate Erin violated the sacred law of dibs by using the bazooka before her. Holtzmann promised there would be reprisals.
Erin participated in scanning the Ghostbusters 101 pilot team but asked again what they were looking for. Ray stated they were looking for any trace of the ghost that attacked them when they last used the teleportation unit. She inquired why it wasn't secured. Egon revealed the security they used on their Containment Unit was incompatible and there were only so many hours in a day. Garrett Parker told Kylie Griffin he washed off the ghost's ectoplasm already. Kylie was amused and Abby explained ectoplasm seeped in and stuck around for awhile. Before she could change her statement, Erin freaked out. While Egon, Ray, and Kylie conferred on what the major problems were, Erin noticed Abby was gone. Erin found her in another room looking at the equipment hanging up and admitted she couldn't even tell her what it did. She thought she knew everything there was to know about the paranormal and should be able to as well been the first to break into other dimensions. Then Abby stated they should have gotten a ghost in a tank first but they got beaten to that, too. She admitted it was sinking in they weren't the first Ghostbusters and she wasn't as special as she thought she was. Erin had enough and swiped the device out of her hand and called it a B.S. Detector. Erin admitted the other Ghostbusters were further along but that shouldn't downplay what they accomplished so far. Erin pointed out they were still pioneers for writing their own book and it was so comprehensive that Rowan was able to follow it and build from there. She reminded Abby two worlds were in trouble and if they failed, Rowan would get what he wanted - a world full of ghosts. She finished saying they should celebrate there's a whole multiverse full of Ghostbusters but could still borrow a few of their ideas like interns.
Erin oversaw a group of 101 Cadets outside of a department store and briefed them about Ley Lines. She started to tell the cadets about the danger of the overlapped dimensions but stopped mid-way and simplified it as making sure nothing bad happens. She joined the standby teams on rooftop in case the ghost had to be "guided" into the mobile trap. Erin overheard Ray on Winston's comms and panicked about being in pack range or not. She tried to reassure herself they were since it took so many stairs to get to the roof. Patty pointed out they took the elevator. Once the ghost was captured, the breach remained. Erin realized they needed a catalyst to seal it and work on the molecular level to split their dimensions. She proposed they Cross the Streams. Ray objected and called it a terrible idea. Egon agreed but they didn't have any other choice. Patty warned Erin if it didn't work and they all got atomized, she would not hear the end of it from her. Two weeks after everything was restored to normal, Peter and Ray visited their dimension to rebuild their Containment Unit. Erin and Abby reflected on the roof. Erin asked Abby if she felt any better then declared they saved the world again, had colleagues, and had proof of alternate universes. Erin called dibs on writing a paper on it. Abby admitted having her protons scrambled did her a world of good and wondered what was next for them.
At the Yorkville Brownstone case, Erin got a bad feeling. The Ghostbusters were surprised by the sudden manifestation of the Timothy Ghost. Erin realized it was just a tiny ghost child. Patty got wound up and asked her if she ever saw a horror movie. She went on a rant about children in creepy fiction. Erin noticed the ghost had a hoop and stick. Holtzmann antagonized it by stating its mom was definitely dead. Timothy transmogrified and attacked them. Erin panicked when the hoop touched her. They took cover by some furniture and used the "Hi-Lo" maneuver to trap the ghost. Erin agreed with Patty that all the creepiest ghosts were kids. She tried using "no kidding" as a pun but as Patty pointed out, she put too much emphasis on it. Erin was not pleased to learn Holtzmann had something cooking back at the Firehouse lab and they had to get back by 5 pm or things would get messy. Erin asked Kevin to order the usual from Zhu's but resigned herself to the inevitable and that the food would never show up. Holtzmann placed a diode on Erin's forehead for an experiment while she asked where Abby went. Patty suddenly burst in and shared her discovery of an entry on the brownstone. Erin wanted Abby to hear it, too, but they realized Abby was possessed again. At their behest, Holtzmann grabbed her De-Possessor and went on about explaining it. They yelled at her to just use it. Doctor Kruger was pulled out of Abby but he attacked and drained them of energy. They fell to the floor and watched as Kruger burst through the upper floors and escaped into the city. They ran to the roof. Erin confirmed she used her knack for mindless paperwork to set up insurance for that very instance.
- For her lecture at the start of the movie, Erin's Grand Unified Theory was based on the challenge of unifying quantum mechanics and Einstein's gravity. 
- There are even the series of equations involving conformal compensator superfields. They were written by MIT consultant Lindley Winslow and later transcribed on set. They illustrated the failure of a once-promising physics theory called SU(5). 
- Erin was an associate professor and specialized in the study of a subatomic particle called a neutrino, nicknamed the "ghosts of the standard model." 
- In Ghostbusters International #3, on page 6, in panel 5, Erin makes a non-canon cameo as one of the applicants outside.
- On page 17 of Ghostbusters International #7, the whiteboard in panel 6 is a non-canon reference to Erin's equations in the Columbia lecture hall near the start of the movie.
- On page 4 of Ghostbusters International #8, once again on the whiteboard, is the equations written by Erin in the Columbia lecture hall at the start of the movie.
- On page 20 of Ghostbusters 101 #1, right of Kemp's Spectral Field Guide is the photograph of Abby and Erin at their high school fair, seen in the Extended Edition and deleted scenes of the 2016 movie.
- On page 4 of Ghostbusters 101 #2, Erin is wearing her white shirt and jeans outfit from Chapter 16 of the 2016 movie.
- On page 7 of Ghostbusters 101 #3, Erin is in her civies from Chapter 12 from the 2016 movie.
- On the Subscription Cover of Ghostbusters 101 #5, below the Ghost Smashers is Erin.
- On page 3 of Ghostbusters 101 #5, panel 5, Erin is wearing her red vest outfit from Chapter 7 of the 2016 movie.
- On page 5 of Ghostbusters 101 #5, Erin's panic attack is attributed to when Gertrude Aldridge ecto-projected on her in the 2016 movie.
- Erin appears on Cover B of Ghostbusters 101 #6.
- On page 18 of Ghostbusters 101 #6:
- The first image is from the first movie, Chapter 3 "Get Her!", when the Library ghost roars at them. Erin and Patty appear in place of Peter and Egon.
- The fourth image is from the 2016 movie, Chapter 6, when Abby and Patty dragged Erin from the Seward Street Subway Station tracks while she had the Electrocuted Ghost confined by the Proton Box thrower. Ray appears in place of Erin.
- The eighth image is from Ghostbusters II, Chapter 24 "A Harbor Chick", when the team looks out from the head of the Statue of Liberty. Holtzmann, Patty, and Abby appear in place of Peter, Winston, and Ray.
- The tenth image is from Ghostbusters II, Chapter 28 "World is Safe Again", of the 'cleaned' Vigo portrait. Erin appears in place of Peter.
- On page 1 of Ghostbusters: Answer The Call Issue #1, Erin's bio refers to her co-authorship of "Ghosts From Our Past" and her pantsuits.
- The Crossing Over Virtual Trading Card #7 revealed Erin has a Doctor in Science (Sc.D) degree. 
- "That stuff went everywhere, by the way. In every crack. Very hard to wash off."
- Ghostbusters 101
- Ghostbusters: Answer The Call
- ↑ Boston Globe " Meet the MIT physicists who vetted the science in ‘Ghostbusters’" 7/27/16 Line reads: "Winslow herself spent a week writing out a lengthy and elaborate Grand Unifying Theory known as SU(5). (You can spot it in a scene where Wiig's character, Erin Gilbert, while trying to earn tenure at Columbia, prepares to speak on the challenge of unifying quantum mechanics and gravity.)."
- ↑ PC Magazine "Reimagining Ghostbusters, and Proton Packs, for 2016" 7/11/16 Line reads: "The inspiration went beyond just facilities, though. In one scene in the movie, Wiig's Gilbert stands in front of a lecture hall, speaking on challenges of reconciling quantum mechanics with Einstein's gravity. On the whiteboards, behind her, a series of equations tells the same story: a self-contained narrative, written by Winslow and later transcribed on set, illustrating the failure of a once-promising physics theory called SU(5). (Yes, "Pa/RA(NO x RM)alS + UDIes/Lab" might be an easter egg, but "conformal compensator superfields" are a real thing.."
- ↑ Boston Globe " Meet the MIT physicists who vetted the science in ‘Ghostbusters’" 7/27/16 Line reads: "Like Wiig's character, Winslow is an assistant professor. She studies a subatomic particle called a neutrino. So little is known about neutrinos they're called the "ghosts of the standard model," Winslow said."
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 3/13/18