The Specter Detector  (also known as Ghost Detector and Ghost Sniffer) was used in The Real Ghostbusters cartoon series only twice and was most prominent in the episode "Big Trouble With Little Slimer" when it was used by Ray Stantz.
During a scheme to get revenge on the Ghostbusters, Walter Peck sent the team on a fabricated bust at the B.U.F.O. research facility in Queens. Egon Spengler immediately detected activity in Testing Lab 5's centrifuge. Ray followed up and confirmed the reading by using the Detector. He registered a Class 5 which revealed itself, the Ogre ghost.
Specifications for the device were later used in The Real Ghostbusters Box Set Volume 2 in the inlay. The specifications can also be found at Spook Central website. The Specter Detector is based on the Ghost Sniffer movie prop.
- "Take Two"
- Movie props only
- "Adventures in Slime and Space"
- Carrying device/holder used with Slimic Net.
- "Loathe Thy Neighbor"
- "Big Trouble With Little Slimer"
- It is used before confronting the Ogre ghost.
- "Something's Going Around"
- Seen among other equipment in closet.
- The Real Ghostbusters Box Set Volume 2
- It is in the inlay
- Marvel Comics 139
- Seen on cover
- Kenner's Real Ghostbusters Toy Line: Ghost Nabber
- It is confused with the Ghost Detector for having a similar design.
- Mattel's The Real Ghostbusters Ray Stantz
- Comes with a Ghost Detector
- Spook Central- The Real Ghostbusters Production Artwork (Site has both images later used in Box Set and one other)
- ↑ Egon Spengler (2009). The Real Ghostbusters - "Big Trouble With Little Slimer" (1987) (DVD ts. 06:16-06:18). Time Life Entertainment. Egon says: "Activate the Specter Detector."