Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"Devil's Night" - When he died, Stingy Jack couldn't get into Heaven or Hell, and has wandered the Earth ever since. He's made his way to Manhattan, he's feeling malicious... and if the Ghostbusters can't stop him, he’ll burn the city to the ground! It's the beginning of a busy season of horrifying holidays for our heroes - HAPPY HORROR DAYS starts here! 
On May 1, 2013, Erik Burnham hinted he and Dan Schoening were planning a Halloween issue. 
On May 11, 2013, Erik Burnham hinted there will be a "sort of" Halloween issue this year. 
On May 31, 2013, in an interview with Cross the Streams Radio Show, Dan Schoening noted he should start drawing for Issue #9 in August and the story is set during his favorite holiday. 
On August 8, 2013, Dan Schoening announced he is thumbnailing out pages for Ghostbusters #9. 
On August 16, 2013, Dan Schoening posted a work in progress of Peter Venkman with the title - *tap* *tap* "Hey..." 
On September 5, 2013, Dan Schoening posted a work in progress of Peter suited up. 
On September 11, 2013, Dan Schoening posted a Stingy Jack concept palette. 
On September 12, 2013, Erik Burnham reported Dan Schoening had one page left to draw. 
On September 15, 2013, Erik Burnham tweeted he was "drawing something fun up" for Issue #9. 
On October 3, 2013, Erik Burnham revealed line art he did in homage to Camp Waconda titled "Li'l Ray Stantz". The original line art is up for auction on eBay until October 7 with proceeds going to benefit Reading With Pictures, a nonprofit organization that advocates the use of comics in the classroom to promote literacy and improve educational outcomes for all students.  
On October 16, 2013, Dan Schoening tweeted the release date would be October 30. 
On October 22, 2013, a panel from Issue #9 was posted indicating the ghost of race horse Maud S. and its famous haunting of Grand Central Station will be used. 
On October 26, 2013, a final colored version of a panel revealed back on August 21, the staff meeting, was posted. 
On October 30, 2013, it was revealed Diamond decided to delay Issue #9 to release on November 6. Both #9 and #10 will release in November.  Dan Schoening posted unlettered final versions of page four and five.  
On October 31, 2013, Dan Schoening posted an unlettered final version of page six. 
On November 1, 2013, a cover, credits, and seven page preview was posted. 
On November 7, 2013, Dan Schoening posted concept ideas for the Maud S. ghost. 
On November 14, 2013, Dan Schoening posted his favorite panel from Issue #9. 
On February 13, 2014, Dan Schoening posted a WIP of Stingy Jack. 
- The Diamond order code is AUG130394.
- Page 1
- In their first encounter, Stingy Jack tricked the Devil into turning into a silver coin to pay of his bar tab then placed him in his pocket with a crucifix.
- In their second encounter, Stingy Jack tricked the Devil into climbing a tree to get him an apple. The tree's base was lined with many crucifix.
- Old Scratch is a folk name for the Devil.
- The infamous Saint Peter standing at the pearly gates is illustrated.
- The Ghostbusters commercial refers to two different commercials
- Page 2
- The ghost is based on local legend Maud S. who is said to haunt Grand Central Terminal. Maud was once kept at the terminal by its owner Vanderbilt after its career as a racehorse.
- Peter and Kylie are at the 60 East 42nd Street entrance at the Vanderbilt Avenue cross section.
- With their backs to the reader, the couple on the right watching Peter and Kylie are the frightened couple who run into a diner full of skeletons in The Real Ghostbusters episode "When Halloween Was Forever"
- The bystander in the blue trench coat is the Jack-O-Lantern vendor from The Real Ghostbusters episode "The Halloween Door"
- Next to the vendor is Lynn Stacy from The Real Ghostbusters episode "The Halloween Door"
- Under the Vanderbilt sign is Sean Bishop in Marty McFly gear.
- Page 3
- Peter's Mr. Dead line is a pun on Mister Ed, an American TV comedy series featuring a talking horse
- The irate taxi driver is visually based on the caricature of staffer John Calmette seen at the end of The Real Ghostbusters episode "Ghosts R Us"
- Page 4
- Page 5
- Mainway Costumes & Novelties, along with its advertised costumes Johnny Space Commander and Invisible Pedestrian are a nod to a Saturday Night Live sketch that featured costumes that were very dangerous for children to wear. The sketch featured Dan Aykroyd as Irvin Mainway, president of the company.
- Page 6
- The Firehouse decorations are based on those seen in The Real Ghostbusters episode "Halloween II 1/2"
- Walter Peck mentions the Mayor, last seen in Volume 2 Issue #1
- Peck's folder has information about The Real Ghostbusters episode "When Halloween Was Forever"
- Peter and Winston quibble about Devil's Night's association with Detroit where it is notorious for excessive vandalism and arson from the 1970s to 1990s.
- The note by the pumpkin on Janine's paper refers to the Wartmongers, the band who played at the Ghostbusters' party in The Real Ghostbusters episode "Halloween II 1/2"
- Janine's mug references the Ye Olde Schooker and Schnapps Shoppe from Sleepy Hollow
- Winston is wearing a Detroit police shirt.
- Peter's shirt appears to reference Lorenzo Music, the first voice of Peter Venkman on The Real Ghostbusters
- Page 7
- Page 8
- The Ghostbusters are looking down North Moore Street towards the Hudson River.
- Page 9
- The Zombie Taxi Driver from the first movie brought Mel to the Firehouse.
- To the left of Janine is the Q*bert machine
- The miniature of the Electronic Positronic Anti-Halloween Machine appears on the shelf
- The two books in the lower left are "A History of Ghosts" a book by Dan Aykroyd's father and the other has the Icon Ghost on it.
- On Egon's board are nods to Halloween, The Real Ghostbusters, and repurposing of art posted online by Dan Schoening
- Photographs of Samhain, the Infinity symbol and the clock relic
- Silk Hatton from Ghostbusters Sega video game. Its headless other half was seen in Volume 1, Issue #2 on the Empire State Building observation deck.
- Boogaloo from The Real Ghostbusters "The Halloween Door"
- Near Boogaloo's photo is a reference to Beggar's Night, a regional term for Halloween in parts of Midwest and Eastern America such as Ohio, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and western New York.
- In the middle, a photo of the Black Slime Elemental from Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Stylized Versions
- Next to the elemental, a photo of Death from Volume One. Appropriately, "Unknown Class" is written by its photo.
- In the bottom middle, a photo of Slimer.
- On the upper right, Steven Dane's schematic for Ecto-1 seen in Making Ghostbusters, page 66.
- Next to the schematic is part of the storyboard/script synopsis also from Making Ghostbusters.
- On the right, a photo of Wat from The Real Ghostbusters "Mrs. Roger's Neighborhood"
- By Wat, a photo of an unused entity from the first movie shown in Making Ghostbusters.
- Page 10
- Egon's clipboard has Don Shay's map of shooting locations from a page from Making Ghostbusters.
- Kylie drinks from a can of Blody, a product advertised in Times Square in The Real Ghostbusters episode "The Halloween Door"
- On the cork board behind Melanie are several references
- A photo of Samhain's Two Goblin Minions from The Real Ghostbusters
- A Ghostbusters I.D. Card from the Kenner toys
- Luis Delgado's 15 easter egg is on the sign by Janine
- The incident sign by Janine is a nod to Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Realistic Versions
- Page 11
- Peter refers to Hell's Kitchen, which was briefly visited in the Extreme Ghostbusters episode "Back in the Saddle" Part One.
- The establishing shot of the ghost fire over Central Park is looking south, towards the North Meadow Recreation Centre and its baseball/softball fields.
- The ghost fire manifested at Glen Span Arch on West Drive, in the North Woods section of Central Park.
- The engine is emblazoned with "Ladder 8", likely a reference to Hook & Ladder 8, the station used as the Ghostbusters' Firehouse (exterior).
- Once again, Kylie wears the Ecto-Visors from The Real Ghostbusters episode, "Cry Uncle". She last wore them in Volume 2, Issue #3.
- The view of the Ecto Visors is a tweaked version of the point of view from the Paragoggles in Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Realistic Versions.
- Page 16
- Egon mentions Pliny the Elder, a Roman statesman who notably wrote an encyclopedic work titled "Naturalis Historia," which became a model for all other encyclopedias.
- Egon also mentions Samhain.
- The hands wrapping around the Moon is a nod to Disney's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"
- Page 20
- Egon muses Stingy Jack was just a Simulacrum or copy of the original.
- Page 21
- The pin up is a nod to Lucy's booth in Peanuts.
- The pin up is also a nod to Peter's electric shock experiment at the start of the first movie, complete with the Male Student
- Page 22
- ↑ Previews World Issue #9 page
- ↑ Pullist Comixbology page Issue #9
- ↑ Bleeding Cool October IDW Solicitations 7/11/13
- ↑ Erik Burnham post Ectozone forum post 5/1/13
- ↑ Erik Burnham post IDW Forums 5/11/13
- ↑ Cross the Streams Radio Show Episode 32, 50:40-50:55 mark
- ↑ Dapperpomade Tweet 8/8/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram 8/16/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram 8/20/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram 8/21/13
- ↑ Positively Nerdy #91 42:51-43:02
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram #1 8/28/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram #2 8/28/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram 8/28/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram #1 9/2/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram #2 9/2/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram 9/5/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram 9/10/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram 9/11/13
- ↑ Erik Burnham reply on Volume 2 Issue #7 Preview via Spook Centra 9/12/13
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 9/15/13
- ↑ Erik Burnham Tumblr 10/3/13
- ↑ eBay listing
- ↑ Dapperpomade Tweet 10/6/13
- ↑ Ghostbusters IDW Tumblr "Maud S is about to stirrup trouble for the Ghostbusters" 10/22/13
- ↑ Ghostbusters Tumblr "Ghostbusters are ready for Hallowe’en. How about you?" 10/26/13
- ↑ Ghostbusters IDW Tumblr "The Dreary Jack Went Before the Gates of Hell" 10/28/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening deviantArt "Ghostbusters 9 Page 1 Preview" 10/28/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening deviantArt "Ghostbusters 9 Page 2 Preview" 10/29/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening deviantArt "Ghostbusters 9 Page 3 Preview" 10/29/13
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 10/30/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening deviantArt "Ghostbusters 9 Page 4 Preview" 10/30/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening deviantArt "Ghostbusters 9 Page 5 Preview" 10/30/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening deviantArt "Ghostbusters 9 Page 6 Preview" 10/30/13
- ↑ Issue #9 Preview via Comic Vine 11/1/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram 11/7/13
- ↑ Luis Delgado deviantArt "Ghostbusters 9 Page 11" 11/10/13
- ↑ Luis Delgado deviantArt "Ghostbusters 9 Page 14" 11/10/13
- ↑ Luis Delgado deviantArt "Ghostbusters 9 Page 18" 11/10/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram 11/14/13
- ↑ Dan Schoening instagram 2/13/14
|Previous Comic book||Next Comic book|
| IDW Publishing- Ghostbusters 2-8||IDW Publishing- Ghostbusters 2-10|