|IDW Publishing Comics- The Other Side 1|
|Release Date||October 1, 2008 |
|Story Writer(s)||Keith Champagne|
|Front Cover Artist(s)||Nick Runge|
IDW Publishing Comics- The Other Side 1 was the premiere issue of the series of IDW Ghostbusters comics released in America.
While busting a meeting between Japanese gangster ghosts and American crime syndicate ghosts, the four Ghostbusters are dealt a major setback when Peter Venkman's soul is knocked out of his body, and Fred, a gangster ghost, takes over his body. Rather than release the possessor's comrades, Winston Zeddemore knocks Venkman out, which forces the ghost out, and it escapes. Returning to the Firehouse, the three deal with Venkman's soulless body, still alive, but empty. Spengler fears that Venkman's displaced soul has gone to a dark void of despair.
Fred reports back to his bosses, a quartet of mobster ghosts: Bugsy Siegel, Meyer Lansky, Lucky Luciano, and Al Capone, who decides that the Ghostbusters need to be eliminated. Back at the Firehouse, Ray's research has led them to believe that Venkman is in Purgatory, and his body suddenly awakes, and appears to sleepwalk outside. Following Venkman outside, the three Ghostbusters are ambushed by gangster and sailor poltergeists carrying real tommy guns. The possessed Venkman informs the trio that they are doomed. Zeddemore attempts to divert the ghosts to buy Stantz and Spengler time to escape, but he is gunned down and killed. Spengler tries to negotiate with possessed Venkman, but he and Stantz are also gunned down in the street.
- During the meeting with Yakuza, Fred implies he was killed by Japanese during World War II.
- While outside of his body, Peter refers to Ina-Godda-Da-Vida which appears to be in reference to a 1968 Iron Butterfly song.
- On page 11, Egon refers to King Kong while he examined Peter's soulless body.
- Gozer and Vigo are referenced twice by Fred.
- While Ray reveals his research into Purgatory, Heaven and Hell are also seen and mentioned.
- Fred references the Ghostbusters slogan in jest.
- Fred refers to Gozer and Vigo as Tooth Fairies compared to his bosses.
|Previous Comic book||Next Comic book|
|None||IDW Publishing- The Other Side 2|