Reading Spiritual Activity
|Appeared in||The Real Ghostbusters|
Mars Attacks The Real Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #2
The P.K.E. Meter functioned just like in the movie, and was used all the time to track down ghosts, demons, and supernatural events. One bad side effect to it was it could explode if exposed to a very big supernatural event. In "Ghosts R Us" the P.K.E. Meter can tell how intelligent a ghost is. A specialty calibrated meter is kept on hand to keep a census on the ghosts in the Containment Unit.
The Real GhostbustersEdit
Over the years, the P.K.E. Meter was adjusted to do more than detect the paranormal. While on the hunt for the Boogieman, Ray suggested they adjust the P.K.E. Meter to detect potential vibrations given off by the entity's portals.  When they were in Hollywood, the Ghostbusters lost their Proton Packs. Egon Spengler adjusted the P.K.E. Meter and a spare to pick up the particle beam energy of the Proton Packs. 
Forced to venture into the New Jersey Parallelogram, the Meter's polarity was reversed so it could be set to detect reality and find the MS Applegon crew.  The polarity could also be reversed in order to send out a distress signal only ghosts could hear.  While searching for Janine Melnitz, who was kidnapped by henchmen of the Crimelord, Egon adjusted the Meter to pick up Janine's specific bio-rhythm.  In one instance, the P.K.E. Meter could adjusted while the Ghostbusters were in the Netherworld. Egon set it to high gain in order to detect the Shears of Fate.  In a similar fashion, the Meters were set to infinity to detect Marduk without getting false positives from psychic background noise and local specters. 
In addition to detection, the P.K.E. Meter was also used as a deterrent. Egon adjusted the sound on the Meter to a frequency painful to human ears within a close proximity. In a race against time, Egon adjusted four P.K.E. Meters to only pick up the energy field of the Makoveris Lotsabucks in order to locate her before Janine was changed for good. 
The Extreme Ghostbusters used the original P.K.E. Meters in their investigation of the ancient tunnel at the site of the Crosstown Subway. Due to the ghosts in New York getting stronger, the P.K.E. Meters had to be redesigned to be stronger like the rest of the equipment. The design was somewhat altered for the newer version. Rather than having an antenna on top that put two side wings, the top has two smaller antennas that had a focused electric wave flowing between them. During the Lotan case, Egon attempted to study Maiikrob's vitals with a stethoscope-like extension hidden in the rear of his P.K.E. Meter. Maiikrob swatted the Meter away before it could be used.
Like most equipment shown in the pilot, the P.K.E. Meter was altered later. Interestingly enough, even in the storyboards to "Mrs. Roger's Neighborhood" the design was used. The design was more of a box without a handle to hold it. There is one large dial on the front.
- P.K.E. Meter came with the Proton Pack in Weapon Action Figure Toys 2
- The P.K.E. Meter can register only ghosts up to a Class 10. If it detects a force beyond that, the Meter explodes. 
- The P.K.E. Meters used by the Extreme Ghostbusters can't function properly in a lead-lined tunnel. 
- In Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Realistic Versions), The Real Ghostbusters' version of the P.K.E. Meter can be found on a desk in the Firehouse basement near the door to the sub-basement, next to several Stasis Mines modeled after the Extreme Ghostbusters traps.
- ↑ Ray Stantz (2009).The Real Ghostbusters-"The Boogieman Cometh" (1986) (DVD). (DVD ts. 10:12-10:15). Time Life Entertainment.
- ↑ Egon Spengler (2009).The Real Ghostbusters-"Take Two" (1986) (DVD). (DVD ts. 13:00). Time Life Entertainment.
- ↑ "Venkman's Ghost Repellers"
- ↑ Ray Stantz (2009).The Real Ghostbusters- "Lights! Camera! Haunting!" (1986) (DVD ts. 18:40-18:43). Time Life Entertainment.
- ↑ Egon Spengler (2009).The Real Ghostbusters- "Ghost Busted" (1986) (DVD ts. 13:27-13:29). Time Life Entertainment.
- ↑ Egon Spengler (2009).The Real Ghostbusters- "Hanging By a Thread" (1986) (DVD ts. 15:07-15:09). Time Life Entertainment.
- ↑ Egon Spengler (2009).The Real Ghostbusters- "I Am the City" (1986) (DVD ts. 13:13-13:18). Time Life Entertainment.
- ↑ Egon Spengler (2009).The Real Ghostbusters- "Janine, You've Changed" (1990) (DVD ts. 15:46-15:48). Time Life Entertainment.
- ↑ Storyboards from "Mrs. Roger's Neighborhood"
- ↑ Screen caps and Storyboards from "The Real Ghostbusters Pilot"
- ↑ Egon Spengler (2009).The Real Ghostbusters- "Slimer Streak" (1989) (DVD ts. 16:55-16:59). Time Life Entertainment.
- ↑ Egon Spengler (1997). Extreme Ghostbusters- Heart of Darkness (1997) (DVD ts. 12:50-12:57). Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Egon says: "These are lead-lined tunnels designed to be impervious to nuclear fallout. In much the same way, they're blocking our P.K.E. readings."