|Specifics: This is for Ghostbusters International|
The Paranormal Containment Research Tank is a smaller, more specialized version of the Ecto-Containment Unit that can hold one ghost that is; seen in the Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Realistic Versions), Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Stylized Versions), and the ongoing series from IDW Comics.
Primary Canon HistoryEdit
The Paranormal Containment Research Tank may look like an over-sized septic tank, but it really is a special containment unit to hold ghosts. Ray Stantz and Egon Spengler use this machine to hold Slimer and conduct some experiments. During the Thanksgiving weekend of 1991, a Psi Energy Pulse weakened the integrity of the Tank and allowed Slimer to escape. Once the Ghostbusters recapture him, the spud is put back into a working unit. However, when the Containment Unit was opened, Slimer escaped again.
In the Firehouse there are two tanks. They are both located on the main floor. The one that contained Slimer is near the stairway to the basement and the main unit and second one is to the left of Peter's office against the wall. It appears the second is not in use or is a spare unit for further research.
Secondary Canon HistoryEdit
Since the Shandor incident of 1991, one of the research tanks was moved upstairs to the second floor. Some years later, after Slimer was once again recaptured, the ghost was returned to the research tank. In the fall of that year, Egon added a blaster, based on Ron Alexander's version to the tank to help him gather data on explosive dispersal of mid-range ectoplasmic manifestations and subsequent reconstitution. Slimer was the obvious guinea pig for the research. Months after the Megaspook incident, the blaster is still attached to the tank.
A parallel version of the Ghostbusters were displaced in front of the Firehouse. The parallel Ray didn't understand how Slimer got stuck in the tank and let him out. Slimer grabbed and threw him down. They quickly recaptured Slimer. A Fairy Poltergeist was placed in it a couple hours later for observation. Slimer was wary of it. Egon also kept a research tank at his apartment and a ghost was held in it as of a bust at the United Nations Building. After Loftur Þorsteinsson introduced himself, Egon was immediately suspicious and released the ghost from his research tank. It slimed Loftur and left the apartment.
- In The Real Ghostbusters episode Deja Boo, Professor Dweeb captures Slimer and holds him in a Ghost Tank similar to the Paranormal Containment Research Tank.
- On page 22 of Ghostbusters Issue #1, one of the photographs in the file is of Peter taunting Slimer, who was captive in the Research Tank.
- On page 18 of Ghostbusters International #7, Egon's Paranormal Containment Research Tank's pedal is visually inspired by the Kenner Ghost Trap toy's.
- Ongoing Series
- Volume One
- Volume Two
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ghostbusters
- Ghostbusters Get Real
- Volume Three
- ↑ Egon Spengler (2011). IDW Comics- "Issue 2" (2011) (Comic p.4). Egon says: "The glass' particles are charged. It can't pass through."
- ↑ Egon Spengler (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #5" (2016) (Comic p.7). Egon Spengler says: "That is a charged polymer. You can't get out of there."