|Specifics: This is for Ghostbusters 101, ATC Comic|
Patty Tolan is one of the four Ghostbusters in the 2016 movie.
She is the practical, street smarts member of the team. She also is a wealth of information on New York city's history.
She being a MTA worker, meets many "characters" in her line of work, but Rowan North takes the cake. One day she noticed him disappear going down the tunnel. While searching for him, she finds a odd sparking device. Then she sees a ghost. She visits the Ghostbusters and asks for their help.
Patty and Holtzmann went to Queens in search of a ghost to trap for study. After spending a great deal of time there, they encountered Ralph and gave chase. Unaware of a portal that was briefly open in a park, they caught up to the ghost and fired. Patty admonished Holtzmann for blowing up another car. Holtzmann insisted the ghost used its psychic powers to do it. Patty was not too pleased to be drenched in ectoplasm after Holtzmann blew the ghost up. Patty called up Abby and informed them they came up short again. Abby told Patty to inform Holtzmann she couldn't blow up anymore ghosts until they trapped at least a Class 5. Patty also informed her Holtzmann blew up more cars. Abby also placed a moratorium on blowing up cars since they were being threatened with the costs.
Abby, Patty, and Holtzmann arrived at the Stryker Beach Golf Course. Holtzmann proposed a $20 bet she could make an elder patron in the corner fall over. Patty advised Holtzmann to let the creepy old men alone. She cut to the chase with an employee and asked where the ghost was because they had a full schedule and the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway was already backed up. He directed them to the 13th green. Abby reminded everyone they should trap the ghost so they could study it. Patty suspected Abby came along to keep them on task. Abby insisted she came along because she won a coin toss to get out of accounting work. To Abby's dismay, Holtzmann neutralized the ghost with the Ghost Chipper. Patty reminded Abby they had three stops to go and plenty of chances to trap something. They didn't catch anything. Abby was in denial and claimed they did and they should build an observation tank. Patty called her out on taking the cart before the horse.
After two Statues of Liberty and another team of Ghostbusters appeared on the news, the team gathered outside the Firehouse. Patty speculated this was going to like that Star Trek episode with the Mirror Universe and was ready to see goatees and sleeveless shirts. They discovered the layout of the interior was different and their stuff was gone. Patty tried to assuage their concern. Kevin Tanaka greeted them from the office area. Erin demanded to know where Kevin was. Kevin stated he was Kevin. Erin lost her composure and declared Kevin was a chiseled, godlike, specimen of a man and he wasn't. Kevin remarked he did all right. Patty advised Erin to take a breath. Egon Spengler and Kevin Beckman got their attention from atop the stairwell. The two teams gathered on the second floor to figure out what was going on. In order to expedite things, the Interspatial Teleportation Unit was demonstrated. Patty couldn't believe Holtzmann just stuck her head into the open portal. Winston Zeddemore admitted Egon tried to experiment on himself every once in awhile. Patty asked him if he ever felt the need to hide the power tools before he went home for the day. Winston admitted he did more often that she would ever know. Patty wondered what Holtzmann was seeing. Afterward, Ray Stantz and Egon talked out their exploration of the alternate dimensions, their first battle against Gozer, and shared their theory about seeding the subconscious of the Multiverse with the idea of Ghostbusters. Patty recalled the name "Zuul" from EVP detail and asked if that meant her team was going to one day face Gozer. Kylie Griffin believed if it did manifest in their New York, it would only be a weaker echo since a large part of its essence was still imprisoned in the Containment Unit.
As Marine Ecto-8 made its way to Ellis Island, Patty finally realized Winston looked like her Uncle Bill except 30 or so years younger. Ray recalled they've seen familiar people and faces in their exploration of other dimensions. Patty noticed the giant tear in the sky. Ray confirmed it had to do with the dimensional overlap. Patty put on a Proton Pack and noticed it was heavier than her team's. As Patty predicted correctly the entities they had to deal with were a group of Pirate Ghosts based on the island's history of executions. The situation worsened after Holtzmann dispersed several and they formed a powerful single entity. Winston saw the similarity with the Megaspook a few years back but noted Death was the winning factor back then. Patty asked if he had Death on speed dial. Ray and Erin abruptly ran off. Patty was annoyed then got into a thing with Holtzmann that the ghost looked like a Kraken. Patty cited the one in "Clash of the Titans" had legs. Ray and Erin managed to discorporate the entity with the Proton Bazooka then stored it in the Megatrap rigged to explode after it was lowered into the dimensional tear above the island.
Patty was excited about going out on a call to Woodlawn Cemtery. Peter didn't know much about it. Patty told him to respect the history. A blue flash knocked them off their feet. The ghost of Herman Melville ran past them. She instantly recognized him. Peter recognized the last name but couldn't figure out what he did. The Moby Dick Ghost arrived and slimed them. Patty couldn't believe he didn't know who Melville was and exclaimed Melville wrote "Moby Dick" but he thought that was John Bonham. Peter, Winston, and Patty were unable to wrangle the ghost but Holtzmann reappeared and lured it into an ambush. She remotely activated several Traps.
- The role of Patty was originally written with Melissa McCarthy in mind. 
- Patty Tolan's name was a direct nod to McCarthy's Irish ethnicity. 
- Patty Tolan was always meant to the fourth character, a breath of fresh energy, and a powerhouse. 
- In Ghostbusters International #3, on page 6, in panel 5, Patty makes a non-canon cameo as one of the applicants outside.
- On page 19 of Ghostbusters 101 #2, Patty is wearing her baseball jacket and New York shirt from Chapter 16 of the 2016 movie.
- On page 7 of Ghostbusters 101 #3, Patty is in her civies from Chapter 12 from the 2016 movie.
- On page 9 of Ghostbusters 101 #3, Patty reveals she used to work for a moving company. 
- In panel 4, Patty's gold vanity necklace is visible.
- On page 5 of Ghostbusters 101 #4, Patty's knowledge of New York's history comes into play with Ellis Island.
- Ghostbusters 101
- ↑ Empire Online "Ghostbusters - trailer breakdown with Paul Feig" 3/9/16 Paul Feig says: "Actually, when Katie and I wrote the script, we had written the role with Melissa in mind, but then I thought I've seen Melissa play a brash, larger than life character. She's done it in my movies before."
- ↑ LA Times "Upset about an all-female 'Ghostbusters'? Screenwriter Katie Dippold makes no apologies" 4/24/16 Katie Dippold says: "Dippold said she originally pictured McCarthy for that role and gave the character an Irish name in a nod to the actress' ethnicity."
- ↑ LA Times "Upset about an all-female 'Ghostbusters'? Screenwriter Katie Dippold makes no apologies" 4/24/16 Katie Dippold says: "To me that fourth character would be this breath of fresh energy, this powerhouse. I think some people think we wrote this character for a black actress. No, we wrote what we thought was a good character and then cast the best person to play her."
- ↑ Patty Tolan (2017). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters 101 #3" (2017) (Comic p.9). Patty Tolan says: "But did your work for a moving company? No? I did."