Ray's Spirit Guide is a ghost who warns Ray Stantz in his dreams.
IDW Comic SeriesEdit
During a dream, that appeared to be a precognitive episode, Ray encountered a spirit guide. He warned Ray that The Third was targeting him. The guide seemed to imply this had to do with Gozer's defeat, Ray's part in choosing the Destructor Form, and destroying the Temple of Gozer.
After Idulnas succeeded in kidnapping Ray, he whisked Ray to the roof of the Shandor Building and knocked him out. The resulting blow was intended to make Ray's mind easier to influence when the re-selection of Gozer's Destructor Form began. Luckily, the spirit guide influenced Ray first and instructed him to only think of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, and not be swayed by Idulnas. Ray followed his advice and Gozer remained stuck in the form of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
Months later, in the fall, the spirit guide appeared in Ray's dream once more. He assumed the form of Ray's romantic interest and warned him the walls of the dimensions were shifting. Annoyed by Ray's nonchalant response, the spirit guide slapped Ray and explained ghosts were 'insulation' for walls between dimensions, cracks between universes were the "other side" for everywhere, and things could be escaping. Ray took it all in and the spirit guide then advised him to start dating a real woman, maybe even the one at the doughnut shop, at the sight of his fantasy love interest.
The next year, in the summer, the spirit guide appeared in the dreams of Janine Melnitz after Egon Spengler and Roger Baugh rescued her from the Draugar.  The following spring, just before the Ghostbusters docked at Hart Island, Gozer made mental contact with Ray. Gozer chose to take on the form of Ray's spirit guide. Just as Ray caught up to the spirit guide and asked if this was important, Gozer revealed himself.
Ray's Spirit Guide has at least the ability to move about people's dreams. It is unknown what the extent to which he can manipulate the dreams to his will. He was able to inhabit the form of a person in a dream and to make the dreamer feel pain.
- The spirit guide is visually based on the Blues Brothers character Jake Blues, who was portrayed by the late John Belushi.
- Dan Aykroyd himself had played Jake's brother Elwood on Saturday Night Live and the two Blues Brothers movies.
- John Belushi was Dan Aykroyd's original choice to play Peter Venkman.
- Slimer's excessive consumption was based on John Belushi's lifestyle, and was joking referred to as "The ghost of John Belushi" by Aykroyd himself.
- Dan Schoening did several designs for the spirit guide including Belushi's character from "Animal House," when he was dressed in a toga. 
- IDW Comics
- ↑ Janine Melnitz (2013). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #7" (2013) (Comic p.6). Janine says: "I've been having some really weird dreams lately about this fat guy in these sunglasses."
- ↑ Nerdy Show Podcast 4/26/11, 36:20-36:40