The Shears of Fate was an item coveted by a demon called the Lord of the Stench. He planned to turn it over his master, the Lord of Evil, who would twist Earth to evil and vanquish all opposition. The Fates shot the shears into space and time where it landed in a $1.99 bin in the New York's Garment District during the 1980s. Ray Stantz mistakenly took the shears to repair the hose of his Particle Thrower and forgot to put it back. During a second battle with the Lord of the Stench's legion, the shears were revealed and the head demon stole them.
The Ghostbusters were dispatched by the Ghostbusters to the Netherworld to extract the shears and save the destiny of mankind. Winston Zeddemore used a Ghost Trap to catch the shears during the mission. The Ghostbusters barely managed to return to the physical plane in time. The Fates opened the trap and took back the shears.
- On page 19 of Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #2, a salon references the Shears of Fate.
- On page 1 of Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #5, the salon referencing the Shears of Fate appears again.
- Ghostbusters Get Real
- ↑ The Fates (2009). The Real Ghostbusters- Hanging By a Thread (1987) (DVD ts. 14:05-14:06). Time Life Entertainment. The Fates says: "The Shears of Fate."
- ↑ Lord of the Stench (2009). The Real Ghostbusters- Hanging By a Thread (1987) (DVD ts. 1:47-1:52). Time Life Entertainment. Lord of the Stench says: "Those shears and that thread control the lives of every mortal on this planet!"
- ↑ Lord of the Stench (2009). The Real Ghostbusters- Hanging By a Thread (1987) (DVD ts. 2:00-2:03). Time Life Entertainment. Lord of the Stench says: "They use the shears and thread to measure out events and length of a person's life."