It was explained that the ghost family were on their vacation, which they have every 100 years.  Not liking having to share their vacation spot with the human tourists, they scared them away. The Ghostbusters and the ghost family tried to get rid of one another until they realized the friendship between Slimer and Scabitha, the daughter of the ghost family. Because of this, the ghosts and the Ghostbusters make friends with each other and then leave. While parting ways, Slimer gifts Scabitha with a plush doll of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
- Scabitha and Claude are the only members of the family that are named.  
- This family is similar to the Grungies from the later episode "Guess What's Coming to Dinner," right down to getting into a misunderstanding with the Ghostbusters and eventually befriending them.
The family can shapeshift, as seen when the father, mother, and son of the family take the form of horses being ridden on by the Ghostbusters and then change into monsters. They also possessed Mount Rushmore and even possess the traditional ghostly powers of flight and intangibility.
- ↑ Spectral Family (2009). The Real Ghostbusters - "Transcendental Tourists" (1989) (DVD ts. 14:16-14:17). Time Life Entertainment. Father says: "Go away for a lousy hundred years and look what happens."
- ↑ Spectral Family (2009). The Real Ghostbusters - "Transcendental Tourists" (1989) (DVD ts. 18:51-18:53). Time Life Entertainment. Mother says: "Come out now, Scabitha dear."
- ↑ Spectral Family (2009). The Real Ghostbusters - "Transcendental Tourists" (1989) (DVD ts. 19:09-19:12). Time Life Entertainment. Scabitha says: "Bet he's more fun to play with than you are, Claude!"