In The Ransom of Greenspud, three ghosts enter the Firehouse intent on releasing their ghostly leader, Spiderlegs from the Containment Unit. They kidnap Slimer, taking him to their hideout to barter with the Ghostbusters.
Slimer messed around with the Firehouse's photo copier. Louis arrived with a stack of tax forms he needed to copy and mail by 5 pm. He decided to go to the copy store and left Slimer on his own. From the alley, three ghosts entered the Firehouse and descended to the basement. The lead ghost ordered a captive near the Containment Unit's port hole to bring them Spiderlegs, their boss. The ghosts went to work on trying to release her from the unit. Their attempts triggered an alarm. Slimer threw down his oversized sub sandwich in the kitchen and flew down to investigate. The unit was about to go critical but Slimer remembered what to do and hit the reset button. The ghosts grabbed Slimer and demanded he open the unit. Slimer refused to comply. Upstairs, Louis returned and called out for Slimer. The ghosts left the Firehouse with Slimer and returned to their hideout. Slimer tried to escape but soon learned the walls were ghost proof.
Back at the Firehouse, Louis found a ransom note just as the Ghostbusters returned from a case. They had until midnight to release Spiderlegs then signal the kidnappers by requesting a certain song on the Moon Man's radio show. As Peter commented on the stupidity of the ransom, Slimer complained he was hungry. The lead ghost went off to listen to the Moon Man and left the other two to watch Slimer. Slimer quickly manipulated them into feeding him... the entire contents of the refrigerator. Slimer then got the ghosts to play Tag with him. At the Firehouse, the guys pulled up the file on Spiderlegs. Egon mused all they had to do was find the frequency Slimer's ectoplasm resonated then locate him with sound waves. Louis remembered Slimer left slime all over the copier. In the lab, they isolated the correct frequency and recorded it on a tape. They hurried to the Moon Man's show and requested the song and had their tape played at the same time.
Slimer heard the frequency on the ultrasonic range and began to resonate out of control, trashing the hideout. Peter and Winston, aboard Ecto-2, spotted a ruckus at only one building in the Washington Square area. They radioed Egon and Ray who departed WWOW Radio in Ecto-1. Peter and Winston landed on the roof and forced the panicking ghosts back inside. Ray and Egon pulled up to the hideout and almost shot the ghosts. The ghosts, even more panicked, tried to find a hiding place. Slimer helped out and pointed to the hot tub. The Ghostbusters blasted their way in and greeted Slimer. Slimer clued them in on the ghosts and set the hot tub to "Puree" Peter handed a Ghost Trap to Slimer and let him capture the ghosts. They returned home to the Firehouse. After Slimer kissed Louis, the ghosts were deposited into the Containment Unit. Spiderlegs was not pleased and chased after her henchmen angrily.
- This episode was only 15 minutes long.
- This episodes title is a play on "The Ransom of Red Chief," a short story by O. Henry.
- This is the first episode of The Real Ghostbusters to feature the Containment Unit's "port hole", which was first introduced in the Slimer! episode "Don't Tease the Sleaze." This is the first of many elements introduced in the Slimer! episodes to be integrated into the mainstream episodes.
- Spiderlegs' underlings appear to be based on the Three Stooges.
- On Spiderlegs' file, her name is misspelled as "Spiderless"
- Peter compares the slime experiment to a lava lamp. 
- The "Who You Gonna Call?" motto is said by the henchmen and Slimer in this episode.
- The song played to tip off the henchmen is "The Twist"
- Janine doesn't appear in this episode.
- ↑ Eatock, James & Mangels, Andy (2008). The Real Ghostbusters Complete Collection booklet, p. 35. CPT Holdings, Inc.
- ↑ Peter Venkman (2009). The Real Ghostbusters - "The Ransom of Greenspud" (1989) (DVD ts. 19:47-19:57). Time Life Entertainment. Peter says: "I presume we're standing here reinventing the lava lamp for a very good reason?"
Episode Screen CapsEdit
Collages and EditsEdit
RGB DVD Boxset FeaturesEdit
|Previous Episode||Based on||Next Episode|
|It's About Time||Air Date||Revenge of the Ghostmaster|
|It's About Time||DVD Order||Revenge of the Ghostmaster|