Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Specifics: October 14, 2016|
Tobin's Spirit Guide (also known as Tobin's Spirit Guide: Official Ghostbusters Edition) is a new abridged hardcover edition of Tobin's Spirit Guide by Insight Editions due for release on June 14, 2016.
This dynamic in-universe book takes fans inside the world of Ghostbusters like never before. In the first Ghostbusters movie, Tobin's Spirit Guide is a comprehensive supernatural encyclopedia used by our heroes to research ghouls and ghosts. For the first time, this fully illustrated tome will allow fans to pore through the pages of this legendary guide to learn all about the things that go bump in the night—from Class 5 Free-Roaming Vapors to giant Sloars!
Along with covering the original movies, Ghostbusters: Tobin's Spirit Guide will also explore the expanded Ghostbusters universe, delving into supernatural phenomena from the comics, animated shows, video games, and other aspects of the franchise. Presented from the point of view of fictional writer J. H. Tobin and filled with never-before-seen original illustrations, the book will have a unique in-world aesthetic that makes it feel like a real object from the world of Ghostbusters.
Absorbing, immersive, and an essential purchase for fans, Ghostbusters: Tobin's Spirit Guide is the ultimate guide to the franchise's rogues' gallery of spirits, specters, demons, and ghouls.
On July 12, 2015, Erik Burnham announced a new abridged edition of John Tobin's spirit guide that involved contributions in-universe by Egon Spengler and Ray Stantz. So far, Burnham and Kyle Hotz were attached to the project. It is set for release in 2016.  Tristan Jones confirmed he was attached to the project but is no longer after he was offered another project a few weeks ago.   
On July 20, 2015, Erik Burnham got a "nice little chunk" of Tobin's Spirit Guide done. 
On August 13, 2015, Erik Burnham announced he saw some of Kyle Hotz' illustrations. 
On August 26, 2015, Erik Burnham said 3 out of the 5 sections of the book were done. 
On September 8, 2015, Erik Burnham was working on editorial notes. 
On October 12, 2015, Erik Burnham revealed he was dealing with some requested revisions when asked about the front cover. 
On November 7, 2015, Erik Burnham revealed he has seen the first half of the book's illustrations by Kyle Hotz.  The illustrations will not be in color.
On November 8, 2015, Erik Burnham revealed the illustrations will not be in color. 
On December 7, 2015, Erik Burnham admitted when selecting content for the book - a lot of decisions were made by the question, "What will look coolest drawn by Kyle Hotz?" 
On December 14, 2015, in an interview, Erik Burnham revealed he was currently waiting to go through the next round of revisions. The guide will have a great cross section of ghosts from movies, Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters, both modern video games, and the IDW Comics.  Burnham later saw the mock up with all of Kyle Hotz's illustrations (some yet uninked). 
On February 4, 2016, Chris Prince teased 'Tobin's Spirit Guide is close to being a real actual thing.' 
On February 20, 2016, Erik Burnham announced the book is near completion. 
On May 11, 2016, Insight announced they will give away Tobin's Spirit Guide posters at Booth 2122 of the Book Expo America in Chicago, from May 11 to May 13. 
On June 8, 2016, Insight posted a photo of a copy of the book. 
On June 10, 2016, preview pages of Vigo, Scoleri Brothers, Dream Ghost, Phantom Jogger, and Gozer section were released.  Preview pages of Vinz Clortho and Zuul, Ivo Shandor and Other Chosen Forms of Gozer (Torb and Sloar) were also released.  Erik Burnham confirmed there will be an Idulnas entry. 
On June 13, 2016, Insight released a 40 second trailer. 
On June 14, 2016, Erik Burnham noted there was a reference to Pliny the Elder. 
On June 16, 2016, it was reported there is a green cover variant in the NerdBlock subscription box.   Andrew Shaffer confirmed a spelling error with Ray's last name on the front cover wrap around. 
On June 18, 2016, Insight tweeted a teaser of the Library ghost page. 
On June 26, 2016, during the Crossrip Podcast Episode 227, Erik Burnham recounted he got a cold email from Chris Prince in late April/May 2015 about working on Tobin's Spirit Guide.  He was edited down but didn't mean to overwrite. He thought the main template of entries would be a picture on the right and a whole chunk of text on the left.  In terms of the guide's continuity, Burnham wrote it to function with the IDW Comics canon. As a result, some ghosts from The Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters were tweaked in terms of their back story or just for certain logic to work in the movie/comic sensibility rather than the animation sensibility. Some ghosts that appear in the guide could also appear in an IDW comic in the near future like Samhain. The details about Samhain in the guide would be used by Burnham in the comic. Samhain was planned to appear in the International arc but there wasn't any more room as the writing went on.  
On July 6, 2016, Tristan Jones elaborated on his history with the book. When Jones was first asked to work on IDW Publishing's ongoing series, he then asked if he could do pages based on Tobin's Spirit Guide. He and the team learned that another publisher had the rights but it was unclear who. Jones then suggested doing files from the Paranormal Contracts Oversight Commission since Ghostbusters: The Video Game was still pretty new at the time. Jones became restless after doing a story about Tobin in Volume 1 Issue #8, working on the Laura Parr story in Volume 1 Issue #9-13, working for other companies like Image, and pitching other Ghostbusters stories like one about witches. He felt going back to PCOC files was a step back and they were being phased out anyway. Tom Waltz and Jones talked about a The Real Ghostbusters digital comic or a spin off mini series but it never got traction. Waltz suggested two page shorts but Jones passed. Erik Burnham worked a few as a result. Jones pursued other work and returned to contribute some covers for the Mass Hysteria! arc at the end of Volume 2. He put together two to three pitches for a Tobin's Spirit Guide book and met with IDW publisher Ted Adams about it. Everything was listed in the pitch, including entities from toys, video games, creatures referenced but never seen, novels, comics, cartoons, movies. He cut down the list and projected a 250 page book. The format would have been one full page of art, one of text and diagrams (size charts, PKE readings, etc.). It wasn't greenlit. A pitch was done with IDW's collector line but it wasn't greenlit either. It was cited the buyer base was too small to warrant production costs, it would only appeal to the hardcore fans, and comic sales weren't high enough either. A couple years later, Jones worked on IDW's Silent Hill comic and learned it was Insight Editions who had the rights to Tobin's Spirit Guide. He contacted editor Chris Price and they had conversations over a few months, mostly about the format. It never happened because of uncertainty with Ghostbusters III. Coincidentally, Jones then did some previsualization work on Ghostbusters III then started working on the Mad Max Fury Road prequel comic. Tobin's was okayed finally but there were still budget issues. Jones was hesitant to write and draw as well. Prince wanted to bring a writer in. Jones was hesitant but relented. A few months later, Jones finished work on Fury Road but was then asked to work on an ongoing Aliens comic by Dark Horse. At around the same time, Prince told Jones he got Burnham on board to write. Jones, however, realized the Aliens gig would be incredibly time intensive and the time table for Tobin's wasn't as clear yet. He ultimately exited the Tobin's project. 
On July 15, 2016, Insight released a Q&A with editor Chris Prince. 
On July 22, 2016, Insight posted a photo of the Comic Con exclusive Slimer buttons they are giving away. 
On July 23, 2016, Insight announced those who take a Slimer selfie at Comic Con at Booth #1703 would get exclusive an exclusive Slimer door hanger, button, and poster. A photo of the hanger was posted. 
On August 3, 2016, Erik Burnham announced Tobin's Spirit Guide was going into second printing. 
On September 5, 2016, Shirt Punch offered a one day deal called the "Get to know your Ghosts Bungle" by owlhaus. It included a Stay Puft Marshmallows shirt and a copy of the green variant Tobin's Spirit Guide.  
- 96 pages
- Product Dimensions: 6.5 x 9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.7 pounds
- One of the entries Erik Burnham was looking forward to the most was Rall. 
- One of entries that was edited down a lot was the Taxi Driver ghost. 
- ↑ Insight Editions page for Tobin's Spirit Guide retrieved 3/10/16
- ↑ Tobin's Spirit Guide page on Amazon retrieved 4/12/16
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 10/30/15
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 7/11/15
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 7/12/15
- ↑ TRexJones Tweet #1 7/12/15
- ↑ TRexJones Tweet #2 7/12/15
- ↑ TRexJones Tweet Reply 7/12/15
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 7/20/15
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 8/13/15
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 8/22/15
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 8/26/15
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 9/8/15
- ↑ Venture Capital Post "Ghostbusters Reboot Updates: First trailer, "Tobin's Spirit Guide" publication, new merchandise coming out soon" 9/11/15
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 10/12/15
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 11/7/15
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 11/8/15
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 11/27/15
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 12/7/15
- ↑ Ghostbusters Wiki Interview with Erik Burnham Part 3, Question 20 answer 12/14/15
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 12/14/15
- ↑ Kyle Hotz facebook 1/27/16
- ↑ Kyle Hotz facebook reply 1/27/16
- ↑ ChrisPrincey Tweet 2/4/16
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 2/20/16
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet #1 3/11/16
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet #2 3/11/16
- ↑ insighteditions Tweet 5/11/16
- ↑ insighteditions Tweet 6/8/16
- ↑ Entertainment Weekly "Ghostbusters spirit guide: Check out an exclusive preview" 6/10/16
- ↑ io9 "Explore the Paranormal History of Ghostbusters' in This Gorgeous New Book" 6/10/16
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 6/10/16
- ↑ Crave Online "First Look At Tobin's Spirit Guide: Official Ghostbusters Edition" 6/13/16
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 6/14/16
- ↑ andrewtshaffer Tweet #1 6/16/16
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 6/16/16
- ↑ andrewtshaffer Tweet #2 6/16/16
- ↑ insighteditions Tweet 6/18/16
- ↑ insighteditions Tweet #1 6/19/16
- ↑ insighteditions Tweet #2 6/19/16
- ↑ 6/26/16 Crossrip Podcast "#227 - Andrew Shaffer/"Ghosts From Our Past" and Erik Burnham "Tobin's Spirit Guide" - June 27, 2016" 2:21:26-2:21:45, 2:21:48-2:21:50 Erik Burnham says: "It was really as simple as, uh, last April, maybe May, last May, um, my editor at Insight, Chris Prince, he just dropped me an email saying, 'Hey, we're doing this thing. Are you interested?' Yeah. I think I'm interested. Yeah. Ad really went from there...No. No, it was a cold email."
- ↑ 6/26/16 Crossrip Podcast "#227 - Andrew Shaffer/"Ghosts From Our Past" and Erik Burnham "Tobin's Spirit Guide" - June 27, 2016" 2:22:15-2:22-28, 2:24:13-2:24:13-2:24:24 Erik Burnham says: "In fact, I know he edited me down. I had a lot more words in there and I'm like, 'Ok, I'm sorry. I did not mean to overwrite!' But it's all good. It's Kyle Hotz' art...What I was thinking the book was going to be was if you look at the Vigo entry where there's a picture on the right and a whole chunk of text on the left. That's what I thought I was going to be doing roughly for the entries. Most of the entries."
- ↑ 6/26/16 Crossrip Podcast "#227 - Andrew Shaffer/"Ghosts From Our Past" and Erik Burnham "Tobin's Spirit Guide" - June 27, 2016" 2:27:10-2:27:47 Erik Burnham says: "Uh, everything. Ha ha ha. What it was was we're playing this as the movie/comic universe. So if it's a Real Ghostbusters ghost, obviously a good chunk, because it ran so long -- it had so many -- a really good chunk of memorable ghosts. The fan favorites are going to come up from the cartoon. They haven't shown up in the movies or the comic yet, um, so I had to kind of tweak some of the back stories to make it work. Just a little bit. And some of them had cartoon logic that didn't really work within the logic of the movie."
- ↑ 6/26/16 Crossrip Podcast "#227 - Andrew Shaffer/"Ghosts From Our Past" and Erik Burnham "Tobin's Spirit Guide" - June 27, 2016" 2:29:37-2:30:04 Erik Burnham says: "All the stuff in there, uh, I wrote to work with the comics. So the version of Samhain, for example. The details I put in there. If I were to use Samhain, that's the details I would use. And I, uh, yeah, I did -- I did think at one point last year that we're gonna sneak him into International but not going to be any room for him in International but I still want to use him at some point."
- ↑ Ghostbusters Fans Tobin's Spirit Guide (Insight Editions) TRexJones reply 7/6/16
- ↑ Insight Editions "Q&A with an Editor – Tobin’s Spirit Guide" 7/15/16
- ↑ insighteditions Tweet 7/22/16
- ↑ insighteditions Tweet 7/23/16
- ↑ erikburnham Tweet 8/3/16
- ↑ Shirt Punch Get to Know your Ghosts Bundle" 9/5/16
- ↑ Proton Charging Facebook post 9/5/16
- ↑ 6/26/16 Crossrip Podcast "#227 - Andrew Shaffer/"Ghosts From Our Past" and Erik Burnham "Tobin's Spirit Guide" - June 27, 2016" 2:22:56-2:23:02 Erik Burnham says: "One of the ones I was excited to see was his, uh, take on Rall from The Real Ghostbusters."
- ↑ 6/26/16 Crossrip Podcast "#227 - Andrew Shaffer/"Ghosts From Our Past" and Erik Burnham "Tobin's Spirit Guide" - June 27, 2016" 2:29:00-2:29:13 Erik Burnham says: "I had a whole lot more for the Taxi Driver since you brought him up. They said, 'You know, this, you don't really need this much for the Taxi Driver.' Okay, well, snip."
- Tobin's Spirit Guide
- Tobin's Spirit Guide (West End Games)
- Ghostbusters IDW Publishing Comics
- Other Ghostbusters Related print